Skip to main content

8 Salary Negotiation Tips

Last week I attended a conference organized by the Mines de Nantes and Mines Nantes Alumni, led by Vincent Frey and about "Salary Negotiation".

In short:

  1. Never try to be right. Nobody likes to be wrong, including your interviewer. Avoid "yes, but…" sentences.
  2. Do not argue. There is no right price. Do not listen to your engineer's voice, setting a salary is not rational.
  3. Do not justify your claim.
  4. Do not insulate your salary claim. Example: "I have five years experience, I want _ k€ and I am available internationally". Do not seek approval from the other party after telling the salary you want.
  5. On the contrary, if the amount announced by your interviewer does not suit you, insulate the salary. Make a pause, ask her/him to repeat.
  6. You must be able to give your salary expectation right away when asked during an interview.
  7. If the salary you requested is lowered, negotiate a concession, even hypothetical.
  8. You can only get what you ask for.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transferring SMS from iPhone to Android (for developers)

I recently bought a Nexus 4 to replace my old iPhone 3GS. The transition has been smooth except for the transfer of the SMS from iPhone to Android which led me to write some code and this post. The most interesting article I found on this subject was  iPhone SMS to Android Converter . Considering iSMS2droid has not been updated since October 2011 and does not seem to be compatible with iOS 6, if you choose this solution, you will have to upload your messages on  Jan Grewe  server. You decide for yourself if you are OK with sending your SMS database to his server. I chose to follow another path. After failing to find iSMS2droid or SMS Backup & Restore source code I started coding my own  SMS transfer application . Limitations Only works with iOS 6 SMS Only works with Android having the  sms://  content provider Does not handle attachments yet Requires  Android SDK  to build the Android app Step 1: Find your iPhone SMS...

About Estimation

Recycling an article I wrote in French in 2010 . Following endless estimation sessions in the project I am working on, I have come to ask myself some questions about this practice. Why do we estimate? I think an estimation session should have two purposes. To share a common understanding of upcoming stories. To estimate upcoming work in order to plan the next steps and monitor the evolution of the project. Who should attend the estimation session? Anyone who can clarify upcoming stories and anyone who will carry these stories to completion. To improve your estimation session, you can try the following: divide the estimation session into two stages . Understanding upcoming stories. Estimating the work to be done. Understanding upcoming stories through discussion among project participants is the highlight of an estimation session . The shared vision emerging from these exchanges will facilitate future communications. Estimating should be more relevant and should be d...

Accessing a Docker container running in a Docker-Machine on localhost

On Linux you can access your running Docker container on localhost or remotely by publishing the desired port. On macOS it will only give you access to the Docker container from the Docker-Machine it is running on, i.e. from docker-machine ip <machine_name> . To access it on localhost, you can use ssh port forwarding: docker-machine ssh <machine_name> -fNTL <local_port> :localhost:<machine_port> You can now access your Docker container on localhost:<local_port> . Bonus: Accessing your Docker container from a remote computer. By default, with ssh -L , the local port is bound for local use only. You can use the bind _address option to make your Docker container available publicly: docker-machine ssh <machine_name> -fNTL \*:<local_port>:<localhost>:<machine_port> You can now access your Docker container on <your_ip>:<local_port> .